Smoph's musings

Just my thoughts on the world

Nerdiness extravaganza

I am lucky enough to have found someone to indulge my inner (read: outer and everpresent) nerd. A friend who heard the Star Trek movie was half decent has agreed to be dragged along to the Imax and be subjected to the sci-fi geekery.

This is lucky because I was planning to go on my own if no one would go with me. To go to Star Trek no less, alone, would be a complete and utter act of loser-ness. In fact, I could not imagine a worse way to demonstrate how very few friends you have.

But actually, it is probably that I am the nerd of my friendship group (I should enter in here that I would have plenty of friends go with me were I in Sydney). These friends of mine are science and mathematics nerds, with an unparalleled knowledge of scientific theory that I can on occasion comprehend. But, should I throw out “All your base are belong to us”, the expected titters are actually blank stares.

But you know what? I actually like being the nerd in this case. Being the one who knows the obscure geek pop culture actually makes me the go to girl for other nerdy things, and I like my status as the geek.

So I hereby embrace my innate role. And by the way, they all have it wrong. The line actually was:

geek
And the geek shall inherit the earth.
« Previous post
Next post »

9 ResponsesLeave one →

1. There’s nothing wrong with geekiness in and of itself.For me, the central message of Star Trek is that, one day, thinks might be better. And people will stop being obsessed with money and power, and promote peace instead.If that makes me a geek, then surely a geek I am!

2. A real nerd is never aware of their nerdiness.

3. Oh but they are. Especially when it is thrown back in their face. How could you be any sort of nerd and not know “All your base are belong to us”.As I said AL, I like being a geek and known for it. It means people think I’m cute and smart! πŸ˜›

4. Cassie Bennett

/  May 13, 2009

Admitting it is the first step. I’m proud of you Soph.Just as long as you don’t go to comic conventions and dress up as some unheard of japanese-manga character, I won’t have to reassess our relationship.However if you did dress up in a life-like Master Chief outfit, I might be impressed.Maybe.

5. Ah but see Cassie, you are a different sort of nerd to me. You are a gamer nerd. If you dressed up as Master Chief, it wouldn’t impress me as it might others.. However, dress up like Enora from Firefly and I would think that was awesome!

6. Anonymous

/  May 13, 2009

Where were girls like you when I was single?? :o)

7. As one of the Splatters on Evan’s blog was saying.. Probably in plain sight. :POr in my case, in Brisbane, or Wollongong or Melbourne. πŸ˜‰

8. Nikki

/  May 27, 2009

Hey, I went to Star Trek alone! πŸ™ And Alex told me I wasn’t a dork for doing it.

9. Alex lied. πŸ˜›